Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

January 22, 2008

It was overall a very good weekend. We are into Day 4 of using the Main Amber tray and I have to really put things into perspective. Tanya and Chanel are doing wonderfully! Tanya still does 3 to 4 paws on the seat. Hearing her twinkle-tinkle in the toilet has become a morning routine. It's better than an alarm clock because she prances into my room to vocally announce what she's done and forces me to wake up. I dutifully get up to reward her. :)
Chanel is also using the Amber tray 100% of the time. She is a bit more fascinated with the hole. She often sticks her head through it and paws at the space and water underneath it. They both love watching everything flush away. Already things are cleaner and I love it!

I have made some small changes to the set-up. I lifted the toilet seat to expose the Litter Kwitter 'seat' again. And I removed the green trays from underneath the Amber tray.

I need to admit, my "hands-off" approach lasted for about 2 and a half days! On Sunday, I started moving Chanel to face outward. I decided not to wait until she reached the 'point of no return' because I felt like it was futile by that point and she didn't learn anything. Now, when I hear or see her go into the bathroom, I also go in and close the door. Every time she positioned herself sideways, I would gently put her front paws on the seat and swing her butt around. At that point she would pause and then move to another spot and stand sideways. Again, I would gently put her front paws on the seat and swing her butt around. She would again pause, maybe purr a little, and then move to a new spot and stand sideways. We went through this cycle several times, and at first (on Sunday), she would eventually just remain in the position in which I placed her and use the toilet. On Monday, she eventually moved herself into the correct position! It has taken as long as 15-20 minutes and I often bring in some reading material. She is, of course, rewarded generously. This was probably not the best way for me to honor Dr. MLK Day, but I made up for it with some self-improvement resolutions.

Today--actually, just a couple minutes ago--I stopped writing to follow Chanel as she went into the bathroom. We did the usual routine, but only for about 2 minutes because she placed herself perfectly and peed through the hole!!! I was shocked that it didn't take longer! I didn't have time for a picture, but I'll try to get one this week.

Instead, here's a picture of Chanel getting caught trying to open a bag of treats. I don't know how she got the bag in the bathtub.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

glad to hear the kitties doing well on amber! i'm SO JEALOUS you are progressing. i, on the other hand, spend all day waiting for the sound of delivery trucks outside and for hello to poo if she hasn't done so by morning.

hands off is SO HARD. i've decided to leave hello alone when she is busy with #2, she's been going in the middle of the night anyway. but when i catch her peeing, i can't help but step in and gently lift her front paws and put them on the seat. she doesn't seem to mind at all.

btw, i responded to your comment on my blog. thanks for stopping by.

jenny & hello

Shelly said...

Hi Dark N Stormy,
Sounds like everything is going great. Chanel & Tanya are quick learners. I like your technique positioning. I might try that one.

Well just wanted to say 'hi'.

TTYL,
Shelly, Eleanor & Sunshine

Free Website Directory