Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

March 13, 2008

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks on the Regular Green Tray. Things are going okay, no great leaps. I can't believe we have been on the same tray for a month now....

One very good thing is that Tanya uses the toilet completely again. I think the changes I made helped. Now, she only gets pumpkin puree with one wet meal a day, instead of two. I also try to give her as much privacy as possible. I don't peek in on her anymore. I started keeping the bathroom door only slightly ajar instead of wide open. I think it makes her feel more secure to do her business (oh gosh, I can't believe I just wrote that!). She sure is a modest kitty. The good thing is that I don't have to worry about her. In fact, if I only had Tanya, we would have been done by now.

Chanel still needs to be positioned. She does the side standing thing with bum facing out. I have been working with her everyday since I've been back (about 1 week). She was doing it correctly before, and now she doesn't. I hope one day soon it will click. I'm starting to grow weary... Could it be me and my presence there? Should I do an eyes-off and hands-off approach? Perhaps I will.

I would like to give a mention of support to my fellow blogger, Shelly. Unfortunately, she also got a bit of grief from the Cats T-Training Yahoo Group moderator(s). She decided to stop toilet training and return to the litter box for her two cats, Eleanor and Sunshine. It is definitely more difficult to train two cats. I know her frustration. Best wishes to you!

2 comments:

neverfull said...

my blog is back up! yay! i'm glad to hear your t-training is going so well. how are you going to progress from here? i hear that you should take away the green disc when you are home to see if they will use just the white seat and give them the disc back when you are gone (just to ease them off of it). i'm sure chanel will catch up with tanya. if you take away the green disc, she might just figure it out. are you ready to try this weekend?

i'm really sad about shelly too.

jenny

Figaro the Therapy Cat said...

Hello Tanya and Chanel!
You are lucky cause if our mamaw does not come into the bathroom when we are getting ready to do business, Figaro will go on the floors!!! that is why we are thinking about getting a baby motion detector...even though it is the expensive of items. personally anytime I use the bathroom if my mamaw comes in then I hop off and don't do any business. This is a problem when Mamaw is unsure which kitty is in the bathroom!!!!
Veronica

Free Website Directory