Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

March 19


Even at this moment, as I write these words, I hear twinkle-tinkle in the toilet from the other room. I don't know who it is because I stopped peaking in. They do #1s fine--no need to check on them. I started giving them treats for it again, if I happen to be there.

The play cube tent (only 1 left) is folded up and in the laundry room (the original location of the litter box). No surprises anywhere, thank goodness. Actually, everything is going really well. Right now, I hear scratching, but I see Chanel next to me, so I'll stay put. When Chanel is in there scratching away for the pre-#2 ritual, I go in to position her. I am hoping that with everytime, she will get a little closer to doing it by herself. At this point, Tanya is all set is basically completely toilet trained (yea!!). I don't have the guts to remove the Green Disk yet--for Chanel's sake.

4 comments:

neverfull said...

what a cute picture of tanya and i am so jealous you live near a trader joes. none of those around here! you guys are doing great. i'm assuming everything is going into the toilet so there isn't much clean up, so no need to rush things right?

i am SO not ready to do this whole thing over with mimmy...

carrie said...

hi there -- i enjoyed reading your story. it sounds like you all started training around the same time as my kitty, Le Chat, and me. You've made some great progress! I saw your link on jenny's page... is it ok if I put a link to your page on my blog?

http://lechatshat.blogspot.com/

Carrie and Le Chat

Chancy, Jake, Babe and Ernies Voice said...

WOW,we are very impressed with the toilet training. We will be back to see how it is going...so to speak!

HUGS~ Chancy, Jake & Ernie's Voice

meemsnyc said...

Trader Joes bags are great! We (Heart) trader joes!

Free Website Directory