Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

April 9, 2008

Should I talk about about the fun topic or not-so-fun topic first?

Let's start with the fun topic of the hour: harness training. Chanel has accepted the harness and eats and plays freely in it. Tanya still isn't thrilled. Yesterday, I swear she clasped my leg with her paws while I was washing my face. It was as if she was pleading to me to take the damn thing off. I've never seen her like that before. She looked pitiful. This is what she looked like on the first day. She would throw herself on the floor and walk with a limp. (video is sideways. don't know how that happened, sorry!)

She's better than she was, but she still won't move around much.Putting the harness on before meals, giving treats, and playing have not been strong enough associations. So, I decided to take her outside (holding her the entire time). Then, I took them both for a short ride--to Walmart (to buy a cheap leash). It was about 11:30pm and they stayed in the car. They were so captivated by everything, I think they both forgot they had the harness on. They were so cute! I hope going out will be a more exciting harness-association.


Okay, as for the not-so-fun topic of the hour, there isn't much to say. We are using the Main Amber instead of the Intermediate Amber. They both actually aim through the hole for #1, so it's a much easier clean-up. I'll keep positioning Chanel until she gets it. If I'm not around and she goes back to her side-standing-on-the-seat-and-pooping-on-the-floor position, I will go back to a tray where she will aim centrally.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Oh my gosh, Tanya's voice on the video sounds just like mine!

I go Outside on a harness and leash sometimes. We don't actually go on "walks", I just wander around the backyard while my Mommie holds onto the leash. We won a Puppia harness in a contest, and I love it. I got a size small, but it's a tiny bit big on me, so extra small might work for you.

I had no problem getting used to the harness, maybe because I wear clothing so often. As soon as the harness and leash go on, I go Outside, so when I see them come out, I jump up on the table and wait to be "harnessed up."

When I go back inside, the harness comes off. Then I cry for about an hour to go back out again.

I also go outside in my special stroller. That's fun, too.

LZ said...

Yeah, Puppia harnesses are SO worth it :). They are really comfy and I actually will almost go for a walk on mine. Most of the time I just roam around our yard but it Meowmy really coaxes me I can be enticed to walk next to her.

Latte

Free Website Directory