Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

Day 76

Today I feel proud to show what day of toilet training we've reached.
There are different emotional stages that one reaches on the road to kitty toilet training. In the beginning (I'll call it, 'The Opening Stage'), you feel ambitious, hopeful, and excited about the project and the ability to be litter-free. You may even start a blog so you can share the great experience with the rest of the world. You think it will be a smooth, eventless road that will take only 21 days--or 8 weeks at most (thanks to the commercial training kits and books that boast this).

Then you hit the bumps and potholes in the road ('The Crisis Stage'). Something happens, whether it be kitty rebelling, poo on the floor, pee in the sink, both in the bathtub, kitty not pooing for days, kitty objecting unless you are right there coaching her on, or (in my case) one kitty peeing on the other kitty's favorite faux Chanel scarf. Whatever it may be, the challenges will indeed happen. You feel frustrated and sometimes at your wit's end. You start buying and trying various things that you think will help. These challenges make you ask yourself "why the heck am I doing this again?" and "why did I have to tell everybody I was doing this and write a blog about it?"

Eventually, through the support and advice of others, you learn how to cope and modify your set-up so that you and kitty are happy ('The Resolution Stage'). You become content with the progress you and kitty have made. You feel accomplished. And most importantly, you learn (or remember) that this is not a race to Day 21 or even to week 8.

I think it's common to cycle between Crisis and Resolution stages during the training. Over time, however, Crisis stage becomes less frequent as you remember to slow down and learn tricks to adjust. I think there is even a blending of these two stages at times.

Right now, I am feeling the confidence of the Resolution Stage. Last night, we moved up to the Intermediate Green tray and I am loving it. I am absolutely loving it! :)) Just about everything is falling into the toilet. I'm no longer a slave to the Litter Kwitter!!!

Much less litter fits on this tray. In fact, so little that most of it is easily scratched away and into the toilet. This will be good for weaning them away from having litter there.



Tanya and Chanel took to it right away. I didn't do any stacking of trays before this switch. #1's are great and mostly go right into the bowl. Chanel has stopped side saddling because there isn't enough space. Tanya has gone back to #2's with two paws on the seat and going through the hole. Chanel doesn't quite get it yet for #2 and will need some time. The video below shows her first time on the Intermediate Green Tray. At least she got 1 paw on the seat....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great blog today. i miss "the opening stage." i thought my kitten was so smart and adaptable (after all, i leash trained her in 2 weeks), i was sure we would breeze through TT. i thought TT would be FUN! lol, can you believe it? i think i waver between the crisis and resolution stages on an hourly basis.

i am so GREEN with envy that you guys are on GREEN now. i can't wait until i don't feel like a slave to the LK and get to flush and go too.

fyi, you are on day 38 TT with the LK (exactly half of the total days TT so far) and you are making amazing time. you made it to green in 5.5 weeks!

AWESOME kitties! keep up the good work!

jenny & hello
http://www.freewebs.com/myhellokitten

p.s. i think you are right about your comment on peeing frequency. maybe i should stay out of the house more often?

Unknown said...

i'm hoping no news is good news. can't wait to hear how the kitties are doing on inter-green.

jenny & hello

Free Website Directory