Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

Day 80

After a few days on the Intermediate Green, I've come across a few Crisis moments. Don't get me wrong, I am at a better stage. Tanya and Chanel are moving along very well. But this Intermediate Green tray comes with it's own set of issues...

Let's start with Chanel. The whole is bigger, yes? Apparently, it's now big enough for her to comfortable stick her head through and lick the water!!! YUCK!!! Hasn't she been paying attention to what goes on in that bowl? That ain't drinking water, little girl! Granted, she only did it after the toilet was freshly flushed, but still! I couldn't stop her with "no's" or by pulling her head out of the hole.

I've read many posts on the Cats T-Training Yahoo Group about putting vinegar in the bowl after flushing to keep kitty from sipping. I bought a huge jug of white vinegar and splashed a bit in after flushing. Didn't work!!! She still put her head through and licked the water! EEWW!!! What next?? I had some apple cider vinegar in the bathroom (great for mixing with clay masks (instead of water) for a good exfoliating facial peel). I opened it and it definitely had a more repelling odor. I splashed that in the bowl and she instantly stopped. I'll have to post that one for everyone's FYI. BTW, I also leave the bowl unflushed for #1s so it's just dirty enough for her not to drink it. Plus, my county is in a drought--so I'm trying to preserve water.

That solved, we come across the problem of both Tanya and Chanel having a difficult time aiming centrally for #2. #1's are perfect--just perfect. Tanya could use no tray at this point for #1 and I haven't seen Chanel side-saddle once. However, #2s end up often on the seat (this is when I'm glad I'm not using my own seat!) or on the tray. I promptly clean it up (which could be adding to the issue). In fact, when I hear a lot a scratching, that's my cue to peer around the corner to observe and to clean up afterward. If they catch me watching, they shoot me a WTF are you looking at stare, stop what their doing, and run away. If I'm not there, #2s end up on the seat or on the tray. When I am able to observe, I notice a lot of side standing with one side of their body (front and back paw) the seat and the other side on the tray.

Last night I did an experiment. Since they don't want me in there, I'll leave them alone and let them deal with their #2 on the seat/tray for a while. I left it for an hour (remember, there is not enough litter for anything to be buried). I don't know if it worked, but this morning, #2s were in the bowl. Coincidence? Perhaps. I'm hoping that they will get uncomfortable enough with poo on the seat that they will aim centrally and "bury" their waste in the water. Will keep you posted on that one.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you guys are in really great shape. i've read so many horror stories about kitties protesting after any of the green discs go on.

have you tried putting the toilet seat down over the LK? wouldn't it make it harder for them to side stand in the tray? just a thought.

so i'm not sure if i'm supposed to respond to your blog comments on my blog or on yours. what do you think?

i was actually going to write something up for my website on how to leash train a cat. i guess i'll practice on you. your furkids are still young so this is the best time to try to leash train. first of all, i would not consider taking a cat out in public unless she is comfortable being held for long periods. if she doesn't find comfort in your arms, then putting her in a new and potentially stressful situation may not be a good thing to attempt. next, get them use to wearing a harness first, even for minutes at a time in the beginnning. when they are comfortable enough in it to wear it for hours, even nap in it, then attach a leash. let them roam around the house with the leash attached, so they get used to seeing it. even let them play with it. when you pick them up, cuddle them, or if they are laying in your lap, pull on the harness a little at a time where the leash attaches. that will get them use to feeling pressure on the harness on their back. pet them/praise them at the same time, so it doesn't stress them out. once they stop reacting to the harness tug, let them walk you around the house. just follow them where ever they want to go with you holding the leash. give them treats and lots of praise.

the key is to understand that cats are not dogs. leash training a cat means the cat is walking you more than you are walking the cat :) i am able to control where she goes by tugging on the leash, but i usually give her 75% of the control on where we go. if i need to get somewhere, i usually pick her up, hold her, and walk with her. she will not squirm to be put down until i stop walking. in the beginning, i would only take 1 cat at a time. take them somewhere like petsmart where it is fun, pet-friendly, and safe from loud, unpredictable street noise. there is a lot of stimulation for them (watching birds, rabbits, playing with kitty toys in the kitty aisle, playing in the cat trees) and people just love seeing cats visiting b/c they usually only see dogs. pick 1 cat and take turns taking them out, but try to do it frequently so they get used to it (i take hello out once a week at least). once you feel you have adequate control of them and they are comfortable enough on the leash, then attempt a cafe or coffee house. they will have a lot more interaction with people there as people will stop to pet her and ask you questions about how you leash trained her. they will quickly get used to street noise, screaming kids, etc. it is important that you make them feel safe too, so whenever you see anything that can be considered a threat to the kitten (dog or car approaching, loud noise, etc.), pick the kitten up and hold her tight so she feels like someone is looking after her. that's it! really, either your cat will let you do it or it won't. i feel personality is a better determinant than the leash training itself. and after taking each cat out on her own, if you think you can handle both of them at the same time, go for it.

as you can see from her photos, hello wears her harness all the time. she has a safety break-away collar and figured out how to take it off. i need her to wear a bell at all times so i know if she is going downstairs to her bathroom. she doesn't mind it at all.

hope that helps!
jenny & hello

Anonymous said...

you guys are doing so well!... im training my 3 and they are on week 5 and i dont have the litter kwitter but they are appox. on the amber tray i have a strainer and i started w/ a quarter size hole just wondering if any one wanted to get rid of there litter kwitter when they are done w/ it...let me know ...miyukobrdrpnk396@yahoo.com

janette

Shelly said...

Hi Dark-N-Stormy, Chanel & Tanya,
Just checking in. Sounds like you guys are doing great. Apple Cider Vinegar! Great tip.. I'll have to keep that one in mind. Sometimes Sunshine & Eleanor like to play in the hole too.

TTYL,
Shelly, Sunshine & Eleanor

Free Website Directory