Free Blog Counter

On Labor Day weekend, 2007, I brought home two cute 3-month old female Devon Rex kittens. Tanya (TAN-ya) and Chanel. This was my first time living with cats, so I prepared with books for dummies and how-to manuals. During my readings, I came across books and websites about toilet training. Yes, you teach your cat to use the toilet! I was intrigued and read multiple strategies to train my kitties to poop in the commode. The process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year!! It was still early, and all sources advised to wait until 6 months of age.

So I waited. In the mean time, I learned how annoying litter can be. I got the automatic LitterMaid Elite Mega Advanced Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box which scoops the poop every time the kitties go. I got it lightly used from a craigslist.org posting. It was worth the money and I didn't become too much of a slave to the litter box. Even though I didn't have the burden of all day scooping, I started noticing that litter traveled. I saw little litter granules beyond the laundry room (original location of the litter box). I 'd see it track out from the laundry room door and occasionally see a granule or two on the kitchen floor or on the couch. I know cats are clean animals, but litter granules on the couch can't be very sanitary.

So, as they started pushing their 6th month of life (Tanya was 6 months, Chanel was 5 1/2 months), I decided to start their training to use the toilet. I love my kitties, but I hate the litter. They are super smart, so I think they will pick it up quickly.

I'm writing this blog on Tanya, Chanel, and the Toilet so you can keep up with their (and my) daily progress (or lack thereof). I am by no means an expert. But you can see pictures and watch the brief videos that chronicle their status and the methods I've used.

You can start from Day 1 by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________

Day 85/47

Happy President's Day!

Unfortunately, I didn't have the day off.
But it's a great day because we are on Day 10 of the Intermediate Green tray!

It has been a good few days on the Intermediate Green. I can't sweat the mistakes and I haven't since Day 82/44. I have actually tried to let Tanya and Chanel figure it out on their own. So, even when I hear the sound of scratching, I don't peak in or move them. I'll wait to see how they turn out in a few more days. I need to remember what happened when I was away for 10 days in El Salvador! I'm hoping that as long as they aren't aiming completely outward, things will sort themselves out when we move to the Main Green tray. I am in fact still waiting for the Main Green tray to be delivered. I've been waiting for about a month now.

Since last posting, there hasn't been any more poo on the floor. It lands on the Litter Kwitter seat, on the Green tray, or in the bowl. I'll just let it be for now.

Also, I realized that the Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer powder also deters Chanel from drinking the water. I have been sprinkling a little in bowl after flushing--it's more fragrant than the alternative. They are very used to that smell being in the litter--I've been using it since the LitterMaid (gosh, remember that enormous thing?).

Thank you Jenny and Shelly for your suggestions over the past week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so did you use up all the vinegar? if not, what are you going to do with that HUGE jug? LOL. it's great that you figured out that a little deodorizer in the water works. i'm sure your toilet smells so nice and fresh now instead of smelling yucky and sour. until tomorrow...

jenny & hello

Free Website Directory